Building & Inspection Services
Below are our most commonly requested documents:
- Applicable Building Codes List (PDF)
- Building and Inspection Fee Schedule (PDF)
- Building Code Rules History
- Canton's Automated Permit Scheduling Brochure (PDF)
- Choosing a Contractor - Handout (PDF)
- Construction Site Standards and Expectations (PDF)
- Direct Dial Phone Numbers for Inspectors and 2016 Holiday Schedule (PDF)
- Vacant Property Registration / Maintenance Ordinance Compliance Permit Application (PDF)
- Zoning Board of Appeals Application (PDF)
- Commercial Re-occupancy & Certificate of Occupancy Requirements (PDF)
- Commercial Re-occupancy Inspection Program Heat Certificate (PDF)
- Commercial Re-Occupancy Program Fire Department Chemical Survey (PDF)
- Commercial Tenant Permit and Plan Review Information (PDF)
- Commercial Tenant Remodel or Build-out Plans Requirements (PDF)
- Letter of Agreement - Structural Test and Special Inspections (PDF)
- Procedures for Sidewalk Sales (PDF)
- Procedures for Special Event Applications (PDF)
- 2015 MRC Chapter 11 (Energy Code) Changes (PDF)
- Emergency & Escape Openings (Egress Windows) - 2015 MRC Interpretation (PDF)
- Residential Finished Basement Specifications (PDF)
- Residential Finished Basement Submittal Requirements (PDF)
- Residential Plan Submittal Requirements for New Homes (PDF)
- Wood Deck Construction Guide (PDF)
- Checklist for a Compliant Rental Property (PDF)
- Rental Program - Apartment Information Packet (PDF)
- Rental Program - Single Family Home/Duplex/Condo Information Packet (PDF)
- Residential Rental Inspection Codes for Review (PDF)
- Residential Rental Inspection Home/Condo Heat Certificate (PDF)
- Residential Rental Inspection Multi-Family Heat Certificate (PDF)
- Residential Rental Inspection Ordinance (PDF)
- Residential Rental Registration Application (PDF)
Applicants can now see the status of their plan reviews via our online portal clicking the link above. After selecting the shortcut, enter the project address or permit number and the most recent application will be at the top of the list. The status can be seen here or for more detailed information select “permit status”. It is there that you can see the progress of individual reviews and inspection results.
Status categories are as follows:
Pending: Applications and plans have been distributed and are in queue to be reviewed
In Plan Check: Plans are actively being reviewed, individual reviews will be visible when completed
Returned for corrections: Once all reviews are complete, requested revisions are sent to the applicant via standard mail and /or email.
Awaiting processing: The plans have been approved and are waiting to be processed. Permit clerks will notify applicants by email and/or phone that the permit is ready for issuance. Outstanding permit fees are given at this time.
Issued: Permit has been issued. Permits will be mailed out if the application was received by mail.
*We try to review plans by the Estimated Completion Date but keep in mind it may change depending on the volume of applications submitted at any given time. (spring and summer months are the busiest.)
The Building and Inspection Services Division is responsible for ensuring that township standards for local building codes, ordinances, and construction are met. In 2015, staff launched the "Residential Rental Inspection Program" which involves inspecting rented units (about 2,000 homes and 8,000 apartment) in the community to ensure the health, safety and wellness of the tenants. The division also issues multiple fence, pool, plumbing, mechanical, compliance, electrical, and other miscellaneous permits.
Obtaining a Permit
Many home improvements require a building permit (PDF) from Canton's Building and Inspection Services Division. Before making any additions or improvements to property in the township, it is important to check if any permits are required for the project. The Master Deed or Covenants and Restrictions should also be checked, as there may be some restrictions that apply for a particular development.
Many homeowners' associations may also have an Architectural Review Committee that serves as the review board for any projects that affect the property. This committee usually requires a sketch of proposed projects for their review. Once they grant approval the approved drawing with signature(s) need to be brought to the Building and Inspection Services Division to accompany the permit application.
The following are select Building and Inspection Services permit applications that are available online. Please bring the completed application to the Building and Inspection Services Division.