Engineering Services

Canton's Engineering Division is part of the Municipal Services Department.  To learn more about MSD and what it does, click here.  

Report Hazardous Road Conditions

To report hazardous road conditions please contact Wayne county at 888/ROAD-CREW. You may contact this number 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please reserve calls for hazardous conditions only such as large potholes, malfunction traffic signals, or flooded roads. Residents may also report a hazardous condition on-line by submitting a service request. The link can also be used to track your reported issue.


Engineering ensures that the community engineering design and construction standards are met. Engineering Services works in the areas of utilities, drainage infrastructure, special assessment districts, road paving, flood plains and wetlands, and outside agency permits.

Primary duties include:

  • Annual Sidewalk Gap Program Administration
  • Annual Sidewalk Replacement Program including design and inspection
  • Annual Road Improvement Program (road projects funded by the millage)
  • Building plot plan review and approval
  • Capital Improvements Program (CIP) Administration
  • Conduct various engineering studies (utility master plans, traffic, hydraulic, soils, etc.)
  • Review and inspection of private developments

Power Outages

In the event of a power outage, residents are asked to call Detroit Edison at 800/477-4747. Residents may also use that number to report downed power lines. To report a natural gas leak or emergency, please call DTE at 800/947-5000.

Utility Alerts

  1. There are no alerts at this time.